May 26, 2009

Spring Children's Book Parade: The Velveteen Rabbit

Today's book post for the Spring Children's Book Parade (hosted by the six o'clock stitch) is The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams.

Of course this is many, many people's favourite children's book, but I do feel the need to highlight some excellent Velveteen Rabbit products which I've truly enjoyed. The version of the book which I think is really most beautiful (and I've looked at many, many editions) is the large, hard-bound one with illustrations in oil by Donna Green. Her oil paintings are so warm and right at-kid-level; you really feel like you are right there with the Boy. (By-the-by, I've found this poster on AllPosters.com of the Donna Green cover art from this edition of the book.)

For those of you who don't know the book, The Velveteen Rabbit is a lovely, sweet (and somewhat sad at times) story about a toy rabbit who loves his boy very, very much and longs to become Real, which of course can only happen to a toy if they are really loved back by their child.

My mother-in-law was over watching my boy yesterday and asked to borrow the book:
"I forgot how good this book was...I'm halfway through...can I borrow it and finish?"

I also highly recommend the audio version of The Velveteen Rabbit which is read beautifully by Meryl Streep and is set to a haunting soundtrack by pianist George Winston (produced by Windham Hill Records). My standard baby shower gift is a copy of the book along with the CD. (Note: the audio version is edited/abridged, I suppose for ease of reading, but it is not butchered).

My mother-in-law was here watching my boy yesterday and asked to borrow the book: "I forgot how good this book was...I'm halfway through...can I barrow it and finish?" I can't wait to read this to my son; why wait - I'll do it tonight!

Please go and check out these versions of a much-beloved classic, and after that, stop by the six o'clock stitch and check in on the Spring Children's Book Parade to get some great book recommendations from other readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment